Archive | January 2012
capricious (a) /kəˈprɪʃəs/
- unpredictable, tending to change abruptly for no apparent or logical reasons
- Synonyms: flighty, changeable, impulsive, & fickle. More difficult synonyms: erratic, whimsical, volatile & mercurial
- A caprice (/kəˈpriːs/) is a sudden change of mind or change in the emotions. A person or a thing that is capricious is subject to caprices, to abrupt, unpredictable changes.
- He’s so capricious his mood changes with the wind.
- New England has a capricious climate.
- The stock market is notoriously capricious.
- Note the difference in pronunciation between capricious & caprice, don’t say /kəˈpriːʃəs/, capricious should rhyme with delicious.